Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Life After Ramadan

Apologies dear readers for my lack of posting (you've likely heard this apology at least once before and will probably hear it many more times in the future) but I've been busy sitting around doing nothing. Well, just kidding...kind of.

The month of Ramadan has just passed and this year I chose to fast with my family. During Ramadan, Muslims do not eat or drink from sunrise to sunset. They use this time of year to purify themselves by refraining from gossiping, thinking unclean thoughts (heehee), etc and devoting more time to thinking about Allah. Very nice. As you all know, I'm not Muslim but I decided to fast this year to show respect and solidarity. Also, people think you're way more badass if you're a fasting white girl. What they did not know was that most days I snuck water and food in my room. Yes, that's right. I'm admitting this online because it was hot and frankly I think it's dumb to give myself headaches and low blood sugar just so that people think I'm tough. But still it was a gigantic pain in the neck and it's not like I had full meals or anything.

My daily schedule went something like this: wake up at 5:30 eat last night's leftovers, go back to sleep for as long as possible, get up late (less hours awake means less hours hungry, duh), wander about the compound, play with children, sneak some water, go to the hospital/market to greet people and buy food for dinner, go home, nap, play with children, chat with my sisters while helping make dinner. around this time it's about 5:30 or 6 and everyone (especially me) is starting to get really crabby and hungry. at 6:30 everyone, seriously, everyone starts to ask me what time it is. This is because they want it to be 7:30 already and I'm one that has a watch or cellphone or clock. This is the only time anyone ever cares what time it is.

Also, no matter what time of year, I've noticed that they demand the EXACT time. If I say it's 5:30 they say REALLY? 5:30 exactly? and then they crane their necks to look at my watch. Then if its actually 5:28 they correct me and look at me like I'm either dumb or a liar. I mean, this is coming from people who seriously don't ever care about getting any place at anyone exact time. If I arrange to meet someone to do work or attend an event it always occurs and hour and a half late. EVERY. TIME. So the exact minute thing escapes me.

So anyway, at 7:30 or when the mosque says we break the fast. This is the best part of Ramadan. The whole family gets together on the patio or mat and has bread with butter, a delicious tea called kinkeliba and dates. The whole thing only last 15 minutes but it's nice to just sit and chat and the first drink and bite of food after a day of not eating is so satisfying. The bread is SO fresh during Ramadan since all the families buy loaves and loaves of it everyday. Then everyone disappears for a while until 8:15 until dinner. Let me tell you, dinner during Ramadan is the best. We had chicken 2 or 3 times during this month and meat twice! The bowl has tons of vegetables with all of my favorite garnishes. They really go all out.

So now you know all about Ramadan. It's over now but that doesn't mean I'm not still hungry. Send food! I love you all!

7 comments:

  1. Ramadumb! I can't believe you starved yourself. I know it wouldn't have made me think of Allah in a good way (Allahdamnit, I'm hungry!). Your poor stomach is now the size of a golf ball! At least you made it without eating one of the children. I'll be sending a package soon along with a postcard. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad you finally posted. you sound happy, like things are going well. i miss your diatribes and jokes, but i'm happy for you that you're getting to starve in a developing country.

    god is good, only peace.

    love,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are the pictures? Where is your ruffle dress?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your outfit, you're so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. gimme, gimme moar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that pic of you and the girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've been ready for a new post for months now...

    ReplyDelete